Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Polk Salad Annie.

I was looking through an ad this week for a major retail store. To my surprise, they were advertising a brand. spanking. new. ELVIS cd! A Christmas DUETS cd! A duets cd?? Yes. There are various country singers who went into the studio and laid some tracks down. Then, the producers added the voices to some favorite Christmas classics from Elvis.

How cool is this, you ask? Cooler than cool. How awesome is this? Awesomer than awesome. How festive is this? Festiver than festive.

It is.....all of the above for one very simple reason. Elvis was a HUGE part of growing up. My parents adored Elvis. They had all of his records. They watched concerts of him on TV anytime one came on. AND, MYYYY DAAAADDDDD used to impersonate Elvis!!!! Ha-ha! No joke. Don't believe me? I've got some pictures to prove it.

Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis.


How cool is it that my mom was practically an EXPERT at making things?!?? She could put anything together! SHE is the one who designed and made the jumpsuits for my dad!! I'm sure my dad had SOME kind of say in the matter, but whether my mom took his "loving" advice was probably another story. Haha! Check out the cape on this one!!! I am going to try to find pictures of the back of this cape! It was adorned with a sequined eagle (maybe similar to the one above our fireplace, haha) I remeber the cape was removeable, so during a 'concert', he could take it off.


I have NO idea whose house this picture was taken at, below. Maybe a neighbor's house or something. I have no idea. What I DO know, however, is how much Elvis was part of OUR household. I remember being sent off with my sisters and brother to Grandma's house a couple of times because mom and dad were going to: 1. have a party or 2. go to a party. They weren't just any kind of party, though. Elvis was going to be there, as well as some cold beverages.


The picture below was probably taken during the opening song, See See Rider. I say that because I see Elvis, uh, I mean, my dad, STILL has the scarf wrapped around his neck. A couple of songs into a show, he'd dab his sweat and throw it out to one of the lucky ladies in the audience. My mom would lovingly bring him a couple more, a little later, for more lucky ladies.


I'd have to go back and look, but I think most of these were taken in 1978-1979. I was 7 or 8 years old. I still remember it like it was yesterday. I have TONS of great memories of being a kid, and wouldn't change my life for anything! Not everyone can say their dad used to impersonate Elvis, right?!

Oh, the concerts only lasted a few years. Here's my dad now. I love him to pieces! Basically, the coolest, FUNNIEST, most easy going, comical, loving, caring, tender hearted, most fun person to be around! EVER. If you're ever having a bad day, give my dad a call, he'll be sure to turn that frown upside down! To sum it all up, he's the GREATEST guy I've ever known. :)


I hope everyone is having a great week!
Chat soon!
JANET!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's cool! I wish I had had a dad like that! I had a terrific mom, but she's been gone a long time. I still miss her.

-Tim S.

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous! I met your dad once and this blog only adds to the great impression he made in that short time at Target. How cool is that? Oh, and I'm totally going to start using the word "festiver" whenever I can fit it in.....